Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Couple Weeks in Review

It's been a lazy, but busy last couple of weeks.  I am not sure if it's that I need more hours in a day or more energy for a day or maybe just an assistant.  

I was on vacation a couple weeks ago (Aug 11-ish) and we spent the time at "the lake" with my in-laws.  It rained far too much for playing outside.  The rain brought cooler temperatures, so made being outside even more of a challenge.  This would be perfect crafting weather if there weren't a couple little kiddos to occupy, laundry to be done, meals to be prepared and clean-up or sleep to be had. 

And then...back to work.  I don't dislike my job; I just dislike that I have to go to my job.  Everyday.  And do work.  Yes, I know...it's called "work" for a reason.  And...yes, I'm paid to perform a specific function and it isn't running, doing Pilates or crafting.  It would be great if those things could be done as a job and I could earn something even close to my "real job" salary, but....I think it would take a lot of work to make that happen and then I'm not sure how much fun it would be and then....well....I'd be in the same spot I am now. 

I suppose it does make project progress even that much of an accomplishment to me, though.  I did finish the "Frozen" inspired "Anna cape".  Yes, it's green, but that is the favorite color of the intended recipient (whom, I am quite confident will not wear it, anyway) and it's  yarn I had on hand.  I know the pom-poms aren't right, but I couldn't figure them out.  


I also managed to get these guys finished.  I was asked to make two of them (special order) and the other will eventually be shipped off to a friend as a surprise.  The girls loaded him up with lots of hugs.  So I know there is a crazy, over-worked lady who is gonna feel some love. (The one in the middle is perfectly imperfect and he is awesome).

I finished my "jelly cakes" quilt top, too.  All I needed to do was cut the strips for the final border and then attach it.  I have no idea why it took me so many weeks to do something that took less than an hour (pressing included) to actually finish.  I admit, I had to take a step back and just stare at it in awe.  It's hard to believe I put this together and it actually looks...*gasp*...nice!  It will be some time before I can finish the whole quilt.  I need to piece together the back, layer it all together, bast it (I'm going to see how spray basting works.), quilt it and then do the binding.  This is about queen-size so it is definitely space intensive--something I don't really have any to spare.  The spray basting requires a space outside (well-ventilated) and I know our little porch is not big enough.  

In and among all of this (and work...did I mention I had to work?), I worked on the Demetra Cardigan, too, and I am so happy with how it looks (so far).  It seems to work up (relatively) quickly and I have not had to "un-knit" very much at all.  It's been a positive learning experience, too.  I used a cable cast-on to start--much easier than guessing to do the long-tail cast-on method.  I also had to do increases using the "make one (M1)" method.  It turned out nicely.  I found I dropped a stitch a few rows back and had to recover it and opted not to rip back.  I think I felt so good about it, I didn't even panic.  Or...maybe that was just the calming effects of watching "Outlander" while knitting.  Either way, no panic is a good thing.  I may be able to finish this within a week or so.  I still have to do my first-time attaching pockets and also a different "bind-off" for the main sweater.  I really hope this turns out nicely once it's been soaked / cleaned and dried.  I know there are a couple snags in it (so....I did a little bit of knitting in bad lighting.  ).  

And now...I am off to try for some sleep.  Tomorrow (you guessed it), I have to go to work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment