Friday, September 19, 2014

"One Foot in Front of the Other"

That's what I keep telling myself.  Each step adds up to miles.  Each step has me closer to healthy numbers.  

Almost two weeks ago, I faced the bathroom scale.  Now, let me take a moment to say, I do not obsess over the number on the scale I don't go into a frenzy trying to drop pounds to reach some (unrealistic, unattainable and unhealthy) weight.  The scale just happens to be the most convenient tool to provide immediate feedback on progress.  It's not exactly convenient (or pleasant) to get glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. checked.  OK, yes, I know some of those can be done pretty easily (blood pressure check at the pharmacy, anyone?), but it doesn't really mean much without some of the other numbers and they all sort of inter-relate.  

So where was I?  That's right, facing the proverbial music and seeing how much my 4+ months of healthful neglect set me back.  I over-estimated how much I put on (though, it was certainly enough!).  Scale faced, I made nice withe the treadmill.  Of course, being it was neglected for so long, I couldn't just go all out and run for 90 minutes.  That would just be cruel...yeah..that's it.  It has *nothing* to do with the fact running for 30 minutes is an effort or anything like that.  (heehee).  I did manage to work up to about 5 miles after a few tries.  Nothing like mindless movies (Sweet Home Alabama, perhaps?) to help make the time go by.

And then, a bit of hiatus.  Can it even be called a hiatus when it's only a few days?  I had my second weekend of Pilates Teacher training.  Intermediate everything.  By everything I mean:  mat, Reformer, Chair, Pedi-Pole, Ladder Barrel, Spine Corrector and Cadillac.   It is a ton of information to absorb, learn and know in a few days' time.  Sunday was a true test for me.  We each had to lead a warm up using the beginner mat order.  This meant, having to teach the other student and our teacher / mentor.  EEEK!!  It was not perfect, but I do feel I could successfully teach a beginner mat class.  Not too bad considering I did one very clunky practice session with my husband prior to this past weekend.  I'm not so good at the homework / studying part of learning.  Somehow, I do need to get my practice teaching hours in.  At some point in the next couple years (being realistic, here), I hope I can test out and become certified.  In the meantime, I need to keep practicing, learning and find time to get in some additional experience teaching.

This Sunday, I plan to rejoin my running group.  I miss that crew SO much.  I do enjoy being on a trail myself and the solitude and peace.  Being with a group, though....oh, how I made it through some tough miles with the just a simple "good job" said by someone as he or she passed by.  Simple, but so effective.

And with that, I think I'll just make myself a cup of tea and relax not feeling the least big guilty about the pizza we had for dinner.

In health!

No comments:

Post a Comment