Monday, May 8, 2017

Nothin; but Sunny Days for Biddy's Flowers

This is long overdue. I'd like to say (honestly) that I've been busy and I just didn't have time for such frivolity as this.  Truth is, I'm just kinda lazy.  And...well....there are a zillion other things I should otherwise do.  

Anyway, almost two months ago (yes, TWO), I finished the "Lake" quilt for my youngest.  Basically, when visiting grandparents, this is the quilt that will be on her bed.  She's been excited about this since I first started it May 2016.  "Is that my quilty, Mama?"  "Mama, I hope we don't forget to take it to the lake."  

Here is how it went.  I followed the "Lattice" quilt pattern from Missouri Star (click here for a tutorial).  I had to modify it a little bit so it would be long enough to make a twin-sized quilt.  Meaning, I left off one square from each row and used the extra squares to add extra rows.  I used "Sunny Days" charm packs from Benartex and a French Vanilla Cotton Supreme honey bun to make the blocks.  They really worked up quickly.  Of course, t would help if I were more accurate with piecing, especially trying to get the points and intersections to line up.  Just the blocks in rows makes the top almost big enough for a quilt.  

The border, back and binding of the quilt use Windham Basics Pastels Daisy Light Yellow.  There is a slight gradient to the yellow.  It's really subtle, but makes it kinda nice.  I didn't do much actual quilting for this.  I did some ditching along the borders and lattice.  It took a bit since the blocks really aren't that big.  The print has a lot of flowers in it, but I thought I'd add a bit more by adding some free-motion flowers to the border.  It took a little bit, but I actually think they turned out pretty well--they look like flowers!  


To add to the quilt, I also made a matching pillow case (French seam pillowcases) using leftovers from the backing and coordinating yardage.  I haven't decided, but I may make another pillow case or a throw pillow to go along with it.  That's for another day.  In the meantime, I have one very happy girl who loves her new blanket and can't wait to sleep under it this summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment